Thrifty Car Rental, Tobago
Terms & Conditions
Additional driver charge: $5.00 US daily per driver (excluding spouse).
Child Seat & Booster seat: $5.00 us per day.
Deliveries to Hotel and private Villas within a 10 mile radius is free. Outside of this there is a $30.00 us charge.
Relevant Extracts from the Thrifty Car Rental Contract:
- GENERAL DEFINITIONS
- Thrifty – means the vehicle rental firm shown on the front side, which is, where so indicated, an independent Licensee of Thrifty Rent-A-Car System, Inc.
- Renter – means the person(s) signing this Agreement, any other person or entity to which the charges incurred under this Agreement are to be billed, and any Additional Renter shown on the front side of this Agreement or otherwise permitted to drive the vehicle with the written consent of Thrifty.
- Vehicle – means the motor vehicle described on the front side of this Agreement and includes all tires, tools, accessories, equipment, keys and vehicle documents in or on the vehicle.
- Rental Centre or Renting Location – means the Thrifty location shown on the front side of this Agreement.
- RENTAL OF VEHICLE AND RESPONSIBILITY FOR PAYMENT. Thrifty agrees to rent Vehicle to Renter subject to all of the terms and conditions on this page and on front side whether printed or written. All persons or entities who are by definition the Renter are jointly and severally responsible to Thrifty for charges due under this Agreement.
- NATURE OF AGREEMENT/VEHICLE REPAIRS/WARRANTY DISCLAIMER. Vehicle is Thrifty’s property. This Agreement is a contract only for use of Vehicle while Vehicle is on rental to Renter, Renter is not Thrifty’s agent or employee, nor is Renter’s conduct under Thrifty’s control, for any purpose. Any service to or replacement of a part or accessory to Vehicle during rental must have Thrifty’s prior approval. Renter acquires no rights other than to use Vehicle in accordance with this Agreement. THRIFTY MAKES NO WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, NATURE OR DESCRIPTION, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED REGARDING VEHICLE AND SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIMS ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS OF VEHICLE FOR ANY PARTICULAR PURPOSE. Thrifty shall in no event be responsible to Renter for any indirect, special or consequential damages in connection with or arising out of furnishing, performance or use of vehicle.
- RESPONSIBILITY FOR VEHICLE CONDITION/RETURN/REPOSSESSION. Renter shall return Vehicle to Thrifty in same condition as received, except for ordinary wear, to location where rented or to such Agreed Return Location as set forth on front side on the due date specified, but in no event more than 30 days after commencement of rental, regardless of due date specified. If Vehicle is not returned to such location by due date (or within thirty (30) days of commencement of rental, whichever is earlier). Thrifty may repossess Vehicle at any time without demand, at Renter’s expense, if Vehicle is illegally parked, used for an illegal purpose, or apparently abandoned. Renter waives prior notice, pre-seizure hearing and receipt of judicial process as a prior condition to Thrifty's repossession. Renter agrees that Thrifty may notify the police or other authorities that the vehicle is stolen or missing, and Renter will not hold Thrifty or the civil authorities responsible for their actions to repossess Vehicle, in any event of any Vehicle replacement for any reason. Thrifty may, as its option, terminate this Agreement and rent any replacement Vehicle under the terms of a new agreement.
- LOSS OR DAMAGE TO VEHICLE/PHYSICAL DAMAGE WAIVER (PDW). If Vehicle is lost or damaged while on rental, whether or not due to Renter’s fault, Renter shall pay Thrifty on demand the amount of such loss or damage at prevailing retail price plus Thrifty’s related expenses, including loss of use, except as follows:
- THEFT. If Vehicle is used in accordance with all terms and conditions of this Agreement, Renter is not responsible for theft of Vehicle unless it is left unattended without all doors locked, windows up or keys removed.
- PHYSICAL DAMAGE. If Vehicle is used in accordance with all terms and conditions of this Agreement, Renter’s responsibility for loss of or damage to Vehicle arising from collision or rollover or losses normally considered “comprehensive” losses, is determined as follows:
- If Renter declines the Physical Damage Waiver at the time of rental by initialling the box labelled PDW DECLINED, Renter’s responsibility is limited to maximum amount set forth on front side.
- If Renter accepts Physical Damage Waiver at time of rental by initialling the box labelled PDW ACCEPTED, Renter’s responsibility is further reduced to the amount set forth on the front side.
PHYSICAL DAMAGE WAIVER IS THRIFTY’S WAIVER OF RENTER’S RESPONSIBILITY, IT IS NOT INSURANCE.
IF VEHICLE IS USED BY PERSONS OTHER THAN RENTER OR ANY APPROVED ADDITIONAL RENTER, OR IS USED BY THE RENTER OR ANYONE ELSE IN VIOLATION OF THIS AGREEMENT, RENTER SHALL BE RESPONSIBLE TO THRIFTY FOR ALL LOSS OF OR DAMAGE TO VEHICLE UP TO ITS FULL VALUE PLUS ANY INCIDENTAL RELATED COSTS INCURRED, WHETHER OR NOT RENTER HAS ACCEPTED PHYSICAL DAMAGE WAIVER.
- PROHIBITED USES OF VEHICLE. Vehicle shall NOT, under any circumstances, be used for any of the following purposes or under any of the following conditions, and any such use is, WITHOUT THRIFTY’S PERMISSION:
- By anyone without first obtaining Thrifty’s written consent.
- By anyone under age 21.
- By anyone who is not a qualified licensed driver.
- By anyone whose driver’s license in any state has been revoked or suspended within the previous 3 years, even if he or she now possesses a valid driver’s license.
- To carry persons or property for hire, including chauffeur driven limousine service;
- To propel or tow any vehicle, trailer or other object;
- In any race, test or contest;
- For any illegal purpose or commission of a crime;
- To instruct an unlicensed person in operation of Vehicle;
- If Vehicle is obtained from Thrifty by fraud or misrepresentation;
- To carry persons other than in passenger compartment of Vehicle;
- Loading Vehicle beyond its rated capacity; or
- While under the influence of alcohol or other intoxicants like drugs or narcotics or under any other physical or mental impairment which adversely affects driver’s ability to operate the vehicle.
- Intentionally causing damage to or loss of the vehicle;
- On other than a paved road or graded private road or driveway.
- In an unsafe, reckless, grossly negligent, or wanton manner. Violating a traffic law or receiving a ticket in an accident is not automatically a violation of this provision, but may be an indication that a violation of this provision has occurred.
PROHIBITED USE OF VEHICLE VIOLATES THIS AGREEMENT, VOIDS ALL LIABILITY AND OTHER INSURANCE COVERAGE (WHERE PERMITTED BY LAW), MAKES VEHICLE SUBJECT TO IMMEDIATE RECOVERY BY THRIFTY, VOIDS PDW AND MAKES RENTER RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL LOSS OR DAMAGE TO OR CONNECTED WITH VEHICLE, REGARDLESS OF CAUSE, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THRIFTY’S EXPENSES, INCLUDING LOSS OF USE.
- RESPONSIBILITY FOR PROPERTY IN VEHICLE. Thrifty is not responsible for loss of or damage on property of the Renter or others left at any time in or on Vehicle or in the Thrifty rental office, even if it is Thrifty’s possession, regardless of who is at fault. Renter releases and indemnifies and holds Thrifty, its agents and employees harmless against all claims made by others for such loss or damages.
- PAYMENT OF CHARGES. All charges and other amounts billed pursuant to this Agreement are payable by Renter (i) in cash at conclusion of rental, or (ii) if a credit card acceptable to Thrifty is used, upon Renter’s receipt of applicable statement or invoice, in accordance with the terms of such statement or invoice, CREDIT CARD RENTER AUTHORIZES THRIFTY TO PROCESS A CREDIT CARD VOUCHER, IF APPLICABLE, IN RENTER’S NAME FOR CHARGES AND CONSENTS TO RESERVATION OF CREDIT WITH CARD ISSUER FOR AN AMOUNT EQUAL TO ESTIMATED CHARGES DUE. For all rentals a credit card safety deposit is due upon finalization of the rental agreement.
- COMPUTATION OF CHARGES. As provided in Paragraph 8 hereof, Renter shall pay Thrifty the sum of:
- TIME AND MILEAGE CHARGES; Computed at daily/weekly or other rate set forth on reserve side (mileage determined by reading Vehicle odometer); charges are computed on the basis of 24 hour Rental Day, with extra hours’ rate set forth on reserve side charges for each hour and/or part of an hour in excess of a Rental Day before Vehicle is returned, until such hourly charges equal applicable daily rate. The minimum charge is one day plus mileage.
- REFUELLING SERVICE CHARGE; If Vehicle returned with less fuel then when rented, Rental shall pay for refuelling services as follows: If Renter does not purchase fuel during the rental, refuelling service charged shall be at rate set forth on front side, multiplied by miles travelled, as determined by reading Vehicle odometer, if Renter purchases fuel during rental, refuelling service charge shall be rate per gallon on front side multiplied by Thrifty’s estimate of number of gallons required to refill Vehicle fuel tank (estimate made by reading Vehicle fuel gauge and using average of Vehicle manufacturer’s specified tank sizes for Vehicle’s car class).
- PHYSICAL DAMAGE WAIVER (PDW) CHARGES; If applicable, computed daily charge set forth on front side. Daily charge is due for each full or partial Rental Day.
- PERSONAL PASSENGER PROTECTION (PPP) and PERSONAL EFFECTS COVERAGE (PEC) CHARGE; If applicable, computed at daily charge set forth on reverse side. Daily charge is due for each full or partial rental day. These are optional insurance coverage. Certificate or summary describing benefits and exclusions is available at renting location.
- TAXES; Applicable sales, use and excise taxes and any amounts charged by Thrifty as reimbursement for taxes paid;
- FINES AND OTHER EXPENSES; Fines, penalties, forfeitures, court costs and other expenses that may be assessed against Thrifty which are due by reason of Renter’s possession or use of Vehicle, including traffic and parking lines.
- OTHER CHARGES; Drop-off and return mileage charges for drop-offs authorized at the time of rental; additional drop-off and return mileage charges, at the rate of $0.40 per mile multiplied by the number of miles from the rental location to the drop-off location (with a minimum additional fee of $50.00) if Vehicle is not returned to the Agreed Return Location; an additional charge of $8.00 for each hour the vehicle was rented if there is evidence that Renter disconnected or tampered with the odometer of Vehicle, or if the odometer is not working properly for any reason; and other charges; if applicable; for other services supplied by Thrifty in connection with this Agreement.
- COLLECTION AND VEHICLE RECOVERY EXPENSES; Thrifty’s costs, including reasonable attorney’s fees, incurred in collecting charges due from Renter pursuant to this Agreement or in recovering Vehicle which has been abandoned by Renter or seized by governmental authority as a result of Renter’s actions;
- INTEREST ON PAST DUE AMOUNTS at the rate of 2% per month, which if not paid is added to the balance and subject to interest.
ALL CHARGES ARE SUBJECT TO AUDIT. If, upon audit, an error is found, Credit Card Renter authorizes Thrifty to correct such charges, including changing any charge card invoices signed by Renter, to reflect correct charges, with written notice or correction to Renter.
- THIRD PARTY LIABILITY PROTECTION. Anyone authorized by this Agreement to drive Vehicle is covered by an automobile liability insurance policy AGAINST LIABILITY TO THIRD PARTIES ONLY (NOT INCLUDING TO EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, ANY OF SUCH DRIVER’S FAMILY MEMBERS RELATED BY BLOOD, MARRIAGE OR ADOPTION RESIDING IN THEIR HOUSEHOLD), for bodily injury, death or property damage caused by or arising from use or operation of Vehicle as permitted by this Agreement. The amount of coverage provided under this Agreement is equal to the minimum financial responsibility limits established by the Financial Responsibility law or other applicable statute (“Statutory Limits”) of the state or other jurisdiction in which vehicle was rented. Protection hereunder shall automatically conform to basic requirements of any mandatory “No Fault” law which may be applicable, BUT DOES NOT INCLUDE “UNINSURED MOTORIST”, “UNDERINSURED MOTORIST” OR SUPPLEMENTARY “NO FAULT” OR OTHER OPTIONAL PROTECTION; AND THRIFTY AND RENTER HEREBY REJECT, TO EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, INCLUSION OF ANY SUCH PROTECTION. In the event that coverage is imposed, by operation of law, for benefit of any person other than Renter then limits of such coverage shall be Statutory Limits of state or other jurisdiction in which accident occurred. Thrifty warrants that to the extent permitted by law liability protection described in this Paragraph 10 is primary with respect to any insurance available to Renter. Renter and Additional Renter(s) hereby indemnify and hold Thrifty, its agents and employees harmless from and against all loss, liability and expense whatsoever in excess of limits of liability protection provided for herein, as a result of bodily injury, death or property damage caused by, or arising from use of operation of Vehicle. PROTECTION IS VOID IN MEXICO. Renter must obtain Thrify’s written authorization and purchase liability and property damage insurance before entering Mexico. IF RENTER DOES NOT REPORT ACCIDENT TO THRIFTY WITHIN 24 HOURS OF OCCURRENCE, LIABILITY INSURANCE COVERAGE DESCRIBED IN THIS PARAGRAPH IS VOID AND THRIFTY PROVIDES NO LIABILITY INSURANCE TO RENTER UNDER THIS AGREEMENT.
- REPORTING OF ACCIDENTS AND PARKING OR TRAFFIC VIOLATIONS. Renter shall promptly report all accidents involving Vehicle to Thrifty and, if necessary, to police. Renter and Additional Renter(s) shall deliver to Thrifty all papers of any kind received by such party relating to any such accident. Renter and Additional Renter(s) will cooperate fully with Thrifty in completing accident reports and in investigation and defence of any claim or lawsuit relating to any such accident and authorize Thrifty to obtain from any government authority having jurisdiction thereof any record of any citation issued as a result of any such accident.
- PARKING AND TRAFFIC VIOLATIONS. Renter shall be responsible for any and all parking and traffic violation lines and penalties arising out of use or operation of Vehicle during the period of rental and agrees to pay or indemnify on behalf of the Renter, and to reimburse Thrifty for all its collection and other expenses including attorney fees relating to same.
Renter and Additional Renter(s) authorize Thrifty in connection with claimed violations of parking or traffic laws arising out of use or operation of Vehicle by Renter and/or any such Additional Renter(s), to release to any governmental agency having jurisdiction thereof any information relating to Renter or any such Additional Renter(s) which Thrifty has in its possession.
- ASSIGNMENT. This Agreement and Vehicle cannot be assigned or transferred by Renter. Renter remains responsible regardless of any attempted assignment.
- WAIVER/MODIFICATION OF TERMS/RELEASE. This Agreement is the entire agreement between Renter and Thrifty. No other agreements, promises or responsibilities exist between Renter and Thrifty with regard to this rental. No term or condition of this Agreement may be waived or modified as to Thrifty except in writing, signed by a Thrifty representative who has been expressively authorized to do so by Thrifty. Renter acknowledges that this Agreement is between Renter and the Thrifty entity identified on the front side. Renter hereby releases Thrifty Rent-A-Car System, Inc., its agents and employees from any responsibility to Renter under this Agreement, and indemnifies and holds harmless Thrifty Rent-A-Car System, Inc. from and against any and all loss, liability and expense whatsoever arising out of this Agreement or the operation or use of the Vehicle, unless Thrifty Rent-A-Car System, Inc. is identified on the front side as the owner of the Rental Location.
- PROHIBITION BY LAW. If any provision of this Agreement is prohibited by law, it shall not affect the remaining provisions.